Sunday, June 13, 2010

Letting it all go

Yesterday we started the final process of moving out of this place. Yard Sale Time !

Here there are early birds, like any yard sale at home, except there is a language and cultural barrier (although I think there exists a "language and cultural" barrier anywhere between those that frequent yard sales and those that do not) between those that speak Turkish and those that do not, and those that have spent their lives bargaining and haggling and those that have not.

It's hard watching all of the nice things you've purchased for yourself perused, watching a woman decide that the lamps your boyfriend sweetly bought for you when he started staying over on a regular basis (so you could both read your books in adequate light) were only worth 8 TL (for both) from the asking price of 10 TL. That's about $2.50 CND.

The pillows I bought from another person leaving last year, which I never bought cases for and went unused - I got my asking price for those.

The blanket I bought when I moved into my apartment and had no bedding, which was purchased on one of my first tentative trips into the city, went to a friend.

The computer bag I got from my boss when I left my job in Vancouver went to Amy, who is staying, and could use a good bag. I didn't want to take her money, but she insisted.

The hammock I couldn't find a tree for, and had waited to purchase since childhood was worth more than 15 TL, but less than the hassle it would to take home.

The same woman that wouldn't pay 10 TL for my lamps also asked to use my bathroom. I let her. She said God Bless You something like 4 times. I'd rather have the 2 TL, thanks.

Selling and getting rid of things is supposed to be cathartic. In the end I am happy to have some extra cash but I would rather have given my things to a good home.  Yes, it's only stuff, but I would like to imagine my things being used and appreciated by friends, even just people I liked. I don't want my lamps in some cheap persons house.

When you are far from home everything you put into your house usually has a story attached. It's not just pillows, a lamp or a mop. It was a taxi ride, a conversation, a search to find the things you needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment