Monday, June 21, 2010

My Students

Today I had to get a criminal record check for Turkey. For whatever reason, the HR person that helps me on these errands seems to believe that most professional offices employ people that speak English. To her surprise I have reported back that neither the bank, nor the Department of Justice has "inglizce insanlar" a good working knowledge of English...But then again where is my Turkish, anyway? (I don't think that "inglizce insanlar" works for people that know English, anyway)

Luckily today I ran into two students, students that failed my course and were at prep school. They helped me find the Department of Justice (well, asked for directions) negotiated AT the Department of Justice, and paid for my English translation (5 TL). I'm not sure why my student paid but he ran off soon after and refused to take my money.

They also told me in their awesome (but still broken - they did fail) English that I should learn Turkish. The student that stuck around took me for coffee and after finding out how much I paid for Turkish school, and how much I make as a teacher, decided that she should have taught me Turkish. She then asked me to write a letter in English about her and all the motivational slogans I know in English (thank you Lululemon aluminum water bottles).

She wants to go to Canada (maybe) I want to go home (maybe). My dad was sick this year and it was difficult. Something is wrong in her family, but I'm not sure she has the language or wants to talk about it. We agreed "all people have problems". I taught her the word "thumb" she taught me how to say "don't touch". I think she has a learning disability and I am not sure how she'll raise her level of written English to a university level. I don't know how to tell someone this. I'm better off teaching body parts and motivational quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment